MineARC Systems latest model range of refuge chambers for the hard rock mine (HRM) industry is the HRM Series IV; “featuring the very latest in safe-refuge technology,” says Mike Lincoln, MineARC General Manager. The MineARC HRM range is now embedded worldwide; deployed in over 100 operations, in over 40 countries, on six continents. The HRM Series IV builds on the success of the Series III. It’s now even safer, it’s smarter, and it’s easier to maintain and service. We’ve also included a number of structural modifications that make it easier to position onsite.”
A major upgrade is the new Series IV CO/CO2 (carbon monoxide/carbon dioxide) scrubbing system. Gone are often cumbersome ‘free-pour’ chemicals – the Series IV now uses pre-packaged chemical canisters that are easy to load and handle, and store for long periods.
“The prepackaged chemical canisters are already widely recognised and accepted within the industry. The popular MineARC HRM-ELVP (extra-low-voltage-portable) range of refuge chambers already uses the canister system,” says Lincoln.
Another unique feature of the Series IV is the Intelligent Voice Audio Navigation system (iVAN). The iVAN system is the onboard guide that ‘talks’ occupants through the operating procedures and alerts at important regular intervals that require action, such as scrubber chemical change outs and gas-level recordings. iVAN can be programmed to speak in any language.
Lincoln: “With the HRM Series IV we feel we’ve taken emergency refuge to the next level. The self diagnostic capabilities, the new digital controller interface and the simplicity of the new scrubbing system are key to this”
As with all its HRM chambers the Series IV was designed and refined in co-operation with some of the world’s leading mining companies, and complies in full with the 2009 West Australian Dept of Mines & Petroleum Guideline: Refuge Chambers in Metalliferous Mines.
The New Series IV HRM is available in both standard and custom-engineered models. The standard model range includes 8, 12, 16, 22, 26 and 32 person models.
Lincoln: “The Series IV HRM had its ‘pre-launches’ at MINExpo in Las Vegas and at GME in Kalgoorlie in September/October 2012. Since then the response from industry has been very encouraging and we’ve already received a number of pre-orders both from Australia and internationally.”
Key features of the new MineARC Series IV HRM refuge chamber include:
- Advanced digital controller interface with full chamber diagnostics capability
- 12 hours self maintenance function including battery, scrubber and inverter
- Full remote systems monitoring, including live internal video stream
- Internal LCD monitor displays, USB port, PC docking stations and Ethernet connectivity
- Advanced CO/CO2 scrubbing system with increased scrubbing/air flow capacity
- Easy to load pre-packaged scrubber chemical canisters (not free-pour)
- iVAN (Intelligent Voice Audio Navigation)
- ‘Talks’ occupants through operating procedures
- Alerts at regular intervals requiring action
- Available in any language
- Battery back-up (UPS) now upgradable to 96 hours
- Separate battery ‘string’ monitoring to pinpoint potential failures caused by surge/drainage
- Improved structural integrity and transport features
- Improved rear chamber housing providing added protection for air-conditioning unit, transformer and air filter kit
- Rear escape hatch with internal and external access
- Improved lifting lugs, skid-base and front end loader features
- Blast resistant optional to 15 PSI.